If you are looking to buy a shoulder holster, chances are that you’ve already cleared out the requirement to conceal carry in your state and you want something that will be functional and also be made with the highest quality possible for the price. Finding the right shoulder holster can not only depend on the gun you have, but personal preference will come into play when it comes to both look and feel. You’ll also want to take into account if you have other gear to pair it with, including a tactical vest or other tactical gear.
Before we break out our favorite brands and models, let’s start with the fact that the Galco brand is one of the top manufacturers for any type of holster on the market, period. They’re our preferred shoulder holster and we routinely find ourselves coming back to them time and time again.
Best Shoulder Holsters
It just comes down to if you can justify the price, and we understand that every person’s budget is different. The holster buying process isn’t unlike any other process like buying a gun safe or the right optics choice for your rifle.
If you don’t feel like a full read, then just take a look at our comparison table and check out what people are saying online about most of Galco’s holsters depending on the model you are looking for.
For more information on our favorite types of shoulder holsters for some of the most popular guns out there, check out the detailed reviews we’ve rounded up for you below. We’ve got a table with our favorite models plus a more in-depth dive into the review details below.
Our Favorite Shoulder Holster For a 1911 Handgun
- Made using the finest materials
- Used by Law Enforcement, Military, and citizens alike
- Tested for durability and quality
There aren’t many models on the market for a 1911 that can hold a candle to the build price and quality of The Galco Miami Classic Shoulder System for 1911’s.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
- The design has been in production since the 1970’s. It’s tried and tested
- Full leather construction that’s flexible enough to fit most standard 1911’s
- Comes in Black or Tan Finish
- Magazine Pouch on the opposite side of the holster
- Galco’s Reputation
- Even Weight Distribution
- Pricier than some other manufacturers.
- May not fit 1911’s with tactical rails (Sig Sauers)
- May not fit 1911’s with tactical lights
Overall the Miami Classic is a stalwart and it’s worth the build price. There aren’t many other holsters that you can buy that have the same features and flexibility that the Miami Classic has. Your best bet if the price wards you off is to take a look at some of the knock offs that might be similar in construction but not made to the same standards that Galco Produces. For our 1911’s, there’s not another model we’d take over this particular model.
Our Favorite Shoulder Holster for Most Glocks
- Fits GLOCK 17, 19, 22, 23, 31, 32, 34, 35, 39
- Made in USA
- Top Grain Vegetable Tanned Genuine Leather from the World's Best Tanners
Did we get every Glock model? Not quite, but the Gould & Goodrich B804-G17 will do the job for every model listed. The B804-G17 Gold Line Holster fits many of today’s popular Glock models snugly and we will highlight the pros and cons of each.
- Top Grain Leather Manufacturing
- Holds the most commonly carried Glock Models
- Made in the United States
- Made specifically for Glocks so specialization
- Double Ammo Carrier on the Opposite Side
- Only Available in Black
- Only fits Glocks
There aren’t too many cons with the GoodRich B804-G17. If you own any of the Glock Models we’ve mentioned, you can pick this up with confidence that it will fit your application and do what you need it to do every time.
Our Holster Pick for the Sig-Sauer P226/P220 Enthusiast
This falls in line with the 1911 camp as we fall back to Galco on this one. The Jackass Shoulder Rig System made for right-handers is quality just like the Miami Classic. Let’s look at the Pros & Cons:
- Closer fit than the Miami Classic
- Quality you expect from Galco
- Even Weight Distribution
- Ammunition/Magazine Pouch
- Suede straps enhance comfort
- Magazine Pouch may not hit 20 round Magazines
As with any product made by Galco, you can expect a quality build that will last you for years. This is an absolutely great pickup if you own a P226 or P220 and expect to carry it on a daily basis.
The Top Universal Shoulder Holster For Anyone on a Tight Budget:
The UTG Deluxe Universal Shoulder Holster is one of the most purchased on the market today. The bottom line here is that there’s no better holster for the price if you are looking to pay less on a shoulder holster. Remember, that the quality here while better than other cheap models, will usually not withstand the years of abuse that a leather holster will hold up through. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons in detail.
- Universal Fit – will fit almost all types of handguns
- Ammunition carrier on the opposite side of the firearm
- Allows for both left and right hand shooters
- Padded Shoulder Harness
- Light Weight
- Shoulder pads help balance and weight distribution
- Build Quality Compared to Leather
I’m sure we could harp on some of the other items that some folks would classify as cons (holster discoloration, elastic bands, lower quality materials) but honestly what do you expect when you spend less money on a holster? If you aren’t the type of person expecting to get 10+ years out of what you buy, than the UTG Deluxe is a pretty solid buy. Just make sure your expectations are set correctly up front.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our breakdown and that our advice helps you decide what brand or model will best fit your needs. Obviously anytime you do a full breakdown article like this you are bound to miss someone’s favorite, so if you feel like we didn’t do justice to a model that’s out there, please feel free to drop us a line so we can update our guide.
Overall we feel like these are some of the best models you can buy for the money and you won’t be unsatisfied with any of them holding your handgun.